Monday, July 6, 2009

The silent voice of obsession and the creation of a world.

One of the most exciting aspects to writing a story is the design of the world and characters in that world. The Idea of Richard Longtails came to me several years before I started writing The Charmer, The Snake, and The Rain Cloud. What started as an idle thought of imagination, has grown into a fixation that pulls at me constantly. This inexplicable force does nothing but add color and interest to my life.

The development of my story gives me a clearer understanding and appreciation for the people in my life. Now I see them not only though my eyes alone, but rather through the eyes my villains and heroes.

I strongly believe that every one of us creates multiple personalities on a slightly subconscious level. We do this to deal with the different situations that life throws at us. Over time (and through experience) some aspects become more dominate while others will fade away. As a writer I am able to clearly sort out the aspects that I desire in myself, others, and in different situations. This is extremely important if you want to live a rewarding life.

The main point being; let your obsessions envelope you. Get your ideas on paper and live through your characters' thoughts; your writing will become more natural, and your life will become enriched.

9 comments:

  1. It's amazing how powerful your writing is. The passion in your writing is really what touches me. You have a great gift. I stumbled upon your FB from an Event page, the meteor shower that's taking place tonight. Glad I checked it out. You watching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too stumbled upon your FaceBook through the meteor shower that's taking place right now. I can't wait to purchase your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After sleeping on the blog it got me to thinking. I've always had stories illustrated in my head. These pictures and basic layouts I've hung onto for years. They really come from dreams and thoughts I've had when I was a child. But when I would think about where am I going to start... I drew a big fat blank! I had no idea as to how I would make my characters grow into their own personalities. Which lead me to thinking about a storyline. You cured my writer's block and definetly broadened my view in story writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I was of help Hannah! Thank you for the kind words! My apologies for not getting back to you sooner; I seldom check this. I hope your writing is going well!

    In the near future I'm planning on blogging about the use of "mindmaps" to really help bring stories to life.

    If you get the chance, google "mindjet"
    It's a wonderful tool for writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Thanks so much! Can't wait for your next blog =) Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had also learned about your book through a Facebook event about the meteor showers Hannah just talked about.

    After seeing the book's website, facebook fanpage, and this particular blog post, I am now more interested in reading your book.

    Although you've obviously not updated your blog in quite a while and I really hope you haven't given up on it, I'll still follow it. As someone who was always passionate about writing (or at least visualizing stories in my head!) since childhood, I'd love to develop my passion by learning from others and writing more often.

    I haven't written too much in quite a while...the only form of writing I've been doing these days is blogging although it is quite new for me and I still struggle with finding a set schedule to do even that.

    -----------------------
    You're more than welcome to come by the **Tea House** at http://teatimerelfections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Reema, I apologize for not posting more updates.

    I guess I can be a bit of a procrastinator at times, but rest assured - the book is on track and due for print within the next few weeks.

    I just got back from Los Angeles where I spent two solid weeks with my editor. I was hoping I could have written a blog update on the plane, but those seats are so restricting, I couldn’t even focus.

    Keep an eye out for some new posts soon. I’m working on a couple:

    “Make a list, or clone yourself”
    and
    “Let your ideas evolve”

    I tried checking out your blog (http://teatimerelfections.blogspot.com/) but the link seems to not be working? I’ll check back later.

    Also, with the release of the first Richard Longtails book, we plan on unveiling a new publishing company. The plan is to print about 10-15 GREAT titles a year.
    We’re looking for authors right now and taking submissions.

    More on this later.

    If you like writing, keep doing it; even if you start to hate it. We all get in funks sometimes, but don’t ever give up. The world needs your imagination.


    Once again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are great to your followers. That's a wonderful trait to have as an author. Keep it up! I'm excited for you. I would love to hear how you're feeling about your book finally coming out! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam: it looks like I didn't type the link to my blog right!! Anyways, here it is: http://teatimereflections.blogspot.com

    Will make sure that even if I don't the chance to write anything else that I'll at least continue blogging ;-)

    ReplyDelete